A New Mexico State men’s basketball player shot early Saturday was “lured” to the University of New Mexico campus by four New Mexico students before an altercation ensued wherein he shot and killed one of the students, according to a Sunday release from the New Mexico State police.
In the predawn shooting that led to the postponement of Saturday’s New Mexico State-New Mexico rivalry game in Albuquerque, Mike Peake, the starting power forward for the Aggies, was shot by Brandon Travis, a 19-year-old New Mexico student. Peake then used a gun he possessed to shoot Travis, according to police.
Travis was pronounced dead on the scene.
Peake was transported to a local hospital and listed in stable condition.
The three other assailants, a 17-year-old female and two of Travis’ friends, all fled after the shooting, which unfolded at a New Mexico residence hall.
“Through investigation, agents later learned that Travis had conspired with a 17-year-old female and two of Travis’s male friends, all UNM students, to lure the 21-year-old victim to UNM campus and assault him,” the New Mexico State police statement said.
The 17-year-old female has been apprehended and charged with aggravated battery and conspiracy.
The investigation into the shooting continued Monday, and it was too early to say whether others would face charges.
Peake, a Chicago native who spent most of high school playing in Kansas before signing with Georgia and then transferring to Austin Peay State University, came to NMSU for the 2021-22 season. He is averaging 9.0 PPG through two games.
The release by New Mexico State police calls Peake a “victim” in the shooting.
A statement by New Mexico State called the incident “heartbreaking” and said men’s basketball staffers had stayed in Albuquerque as the program continues to work through the tragic incident that involved one of its players. A statement by the University of New Mexico said counseling services will be available to all students.
New Mexico State University officials said no students are allowed to have any weapons on university property or at university sponsored activities, and that doing so is a violation of the student code of conduct. They noted that players’ bags will be searched in the future when they board the bus for road trips.
University officials also said they have become aware of other student athletes who violated team curfew rules during the trip to Albuquerque, but those student athletes were not part of the incident.
After dinner, the team had returned to the hotel and watched video footage from 10:30 to 11:30 p.m. to prepare for the game. Bed checks were done at 11:45 p.m., and officials said all student athletes were in their rooms at that time. An assistant coach was present in the hotel lobby from midnight until 2 a.m., they said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *